Monday, December 04, 2006

Close call..

Saturday night we had some friends over. We made some Apple fritters in the deep fryer, and we left the deep fryer on the counter for the oil to cool. Fast forward a little bit....Talon gets on the counter to get a granola bar out of the cabinet. As he was getting down, he pulled the deep fryer with all the oil on top of him. It went all over his head, face, clothes...everything. Danny yelled for me to get in there, and I saw Talon there with all that oil on him....SCREAMING bloody murder. I swooped him up, and I could feel the heat coming off of him. I stripped him down and put him in the tub. I was terrified that I would see his little face bubble up and peel off. His face was pretty pink..he is so pale, so, any color to his face really shows up. Thankfully the oil had cooled enough that it didn't burn him. It took me a couple of minutes before I realized that he was fine.

After that, I sat there and realized in a blink of an eye, our life could have been changed. Our pretty little boy could have had his whole face, hair, etc. burned from hot oil. He could have been scarred for life, not to mention he would have been in severe pain. All this because of our stupidity, and lack of good judgment.

So, I will never forget this lesson. We will never leave hot oil on the counter again, even if it has the lid on it (because the lid flew off), Talon will never be allowed to get on the counter again (even if there is not hot oil, he could break his neck. lol), and if we use a deep fryer, we will let it cool on the stove top where Talon can't climb up.

Oh my goodness. I can't believe it. This is one of those things that I see on the news and I think, "Is that parent STUPID!?!!" Sometimes parents have a momentary lack of common sense, and we had one of those moments. UGH. Thank God he is fine.

Anyway. The clean up was nothing short of bullcrap. The oil went as far up as the top of the fridge. Our wood floor was completely covered in a film of oil. lol. (Hey, it was shiny, though) We were all sliding around on it all night.

3 Comments:

Shabby Miss Jenn said...

OMG MICHELLE! NO YOU ARE NOT A STUPID PARENT! HOW SCARY AND I AM SOOOOO GLAD HE IS OKAY!

Accidents happen regardless. Seriously! That fryer thing scares me and that's why we don't have one. (Sigh)

Again glad he's okay! Now go take care of you! :)

HUGS!

Sarah said...

I, too, am so glad everything's okay. It's definitely one of those gut-wrenching moments (and I've had a couple of those myself). It's just so hard to think of everything (even though we, as parents, and especially as mothers, feel it's our job to do so) and so hard to predict what a kid is going to do next. Things can happen a million times without incident and then all of sudden something goes wrong; one of those "freak things" that happen in a split second. I'm pretty sure that's where grey hair comes from. LOL

Jaime said...

My sister did that when she was 4, I was a teenager. I remember the crash and the screaming and all of us running out there. We couldn't understand how she did it. No cords hanging down, she wasn't climbing it was just everywhere. Thankfully it wasn't hot but it was a huge mess.
Accidents happen, you're a great mom, if there is a kiddo around it can and will happen. Glad he is not burned, big hugs to you!

 
Blogging tips